Tuesday, April 7, 2009

To be or not to be....

So I have been feeling this way for the last couple of days since the girls have been home and I have to say it - I give MAJOR props to women who stay home all the time with their children.
I am ready to go back to work.
As much as I love my girls and would jump in front of a speeding car for them - they frustrate me to no end. I am amazed at how in love you can be with your children while being completely frustrated with them at the same time. I know that our situation is not normal by any stretch of the imagination and that our frustration level is increased more than usual, but we wouldn't change it for the world. We couldn't imagine one of the girls not being here but I won't lie and say that it has all been roses and posies either. It is HARD work - it is frustrating - it is tiring - it is emotionally draining - and it is the best thing in the world all at the same time!

Having said that - I also know myself and I know that I NEED the outside stimulation. My career is important to me - I have worked VERY hard to get where I am and don't want to walk away from that. I am ready to go back to work and see my crew and my friends there, I am ready to deal with the stupidity of the hoops we have to jump through, I am ready to do things 40 times because people don't get all of the information up front and I am ready to get my butt chewed out for something that someone in my crew did wrong - but most of all - I am ready to be "Sherry, Installation Manager" and not just "Sherry, mommy of the Triplets".
Not that the two can't mix or that I don't know it is all about balance - but for me - that balance is combining the two rolls. Being a mother is the best and hardest thing that I have ever done - but I wouldn't be the mommy that I am without being the employee that I am as well. I think my manager summed it up best in my performance appraisal when she said 'Sherry has the innate ability to get more work done than the average person could. She is very organized, very likable and has the ability to stay focused and on track no matter what is thrown her way.' I hope those qualities bleed over into my life as a mommy as well and that my girls can look at me as a role model as to how to be a great mother while maintaining their own identity. That is more important to me than I realized - that I am not only defined by my status as a mother - but also as a friend, wife, daughter, sister, aunt, and mother. Being a mother is a hard fought dream come true for me and I am thankful for the blessings that God has given us. I feel like since we fought so hard to get to this point, that I shouldn't feel the frustration that I do because after all - I wanted this right? Yes - I did - we did. At the same time I can't help but feel like I am doing something wrong when they cry for no reason and I don't know why - or that I can't get them to sleep in their cribs so they are sleeping in laundry baskets - or when they throw up their bottle because I didn't hold them long enough after they ate because their sister was crying for their bottle too- or when I get frustrated and raise my voice to them. I know in my head that I'm doing everything that I can for them and in the grand scheme of things - who cares if they sleep in laundry baskets - but my heart hurts sometimes because I wonder if they will resent me when they are older because they didn't have my undivided attention - they have always had to share us. Guess only time will tell - It's all about balance right?

6 comments:

Laura said...

Sherry - I completely understand! I LOVED my maternity leave - it was probably the best 12 weeks of my life. But I also missed my job, and as hard as it was to go back, it was a relief as well. Hugs - Laura

Laura said...

Sherry - I totally 100% agree with you. I commend every women that stays home with their children - whether it's 1 or 4. I could NOT do it! I always thought that if I had the ability/income to do so that I would, but I can honestly say I don't think I would any more. It's not that you/I do love our children any less than the mom that stays home. Some people just need that adult time. I do think you and I are in a unique situation given we have multiples. It is ABSOLUTELY more trying and frustrating. I feel everything you are saying. I feel guilty at times because Jackson needs my attention more than Abby and I wonder if she will one day grow up and realize that. However, you do what you have to do to survive and you do what is best for your children. Honey, I promise you, after the 1st year you will wake up and realize just how much of a grasp you truly do have on it now. Now walking and talking is a whole other ball game but the physical exhaustion is gone and you are a much happier person all around! You can do it - you WILL do it! And you are a perfect mother.

C said...

I love your honesty, it's refreshing! being a mommy to a new born is hard work and you have to multiply that by 3 so I can only imagine how tired and cranky you might get at times. You are doing everything you can and I doubt it very much that they will ever resent you. You are such a good mommy already!! You truly are so don't knock yourself when you get frustrated, it happens to the best!

Much love!
Cece

Cristie said...

Sherry - Don't feel like you are alone. I love my kids but some weekends I can't wait for Monday to get here so I can go back to work. I can't even imagine how hard (and rewarding) it is to have 3 babies at one time. Just remember that being the best Mom you can be means being the best "person" you can be. And if that means working outside the home for you, then that's what will be best for your family. You know the old saying "If momma ain't happy than nobody is happy".

Mon said...

Oh Sherry, lucky you that you love your job so much :) I dont see this happening, me missing work when my baby is finally born, but I know people who are like you, and you know what, it's absolutely all right !! Going back to work doesnt make you any less mommy, you're such a good mom and if you feel you need outside stimulation, that will only help you on both fronts
Glad to see that yo're doing so well otherwise !
Hugs
molly

..Soo.See.. said...

Coming back to work is harder than you might be thinking right now. You'll miss your little girls more than you ever could imagine was possible. BUT! There are those moments it's a treat to be w/ other adults and talk of adult things, instead of "baby stuff". A need for balance happens in all of us, somehow. In us, WOHMs, it's what you explained. As for babygirls resenting you, I'm suppose to tell you they won't and that they'll be fine, and in my heart and DO believe that for both you and me, but a part of me also feels the boys will resent it that they had to share me so soon. I got goosebumps when you described 1 throwing up b/c the other was crying. I get it. And we'll get through it girl. We already are!!! Hang in there!